A Unique Student Identifier (USI) is an Australia-wide student number required by students who are completing nationally accredited vocational education and training (VET). It acts as a secure online record which can be accessed anytime and anywhere and which remains consistent for life. Developing and Practising Artists require a USI in order to receive a NAISDA Statement of Attainment or a Qualification.
Applying for a USI Number
Developing Artists can apply for a USI number in two ways:
- Through NAISDA
The Head of Compliance and Training Operations will apply to the Student Identifiers Registrar for a
USI number on the Developing Artist’s behalf. Before the Head of Compliance and Training Operations applies for USI number, the NAISDA Academic and Administration Officer will obtain permission from the Developing Artist in writing according to the Privacy Act 1988. Developing Artists will need to provide NAISDA with personal information via the NAISDA enrolment form.
This will allow NAISDA to:
- Process the Developing Artist’s application for a Unique Student Identifier (USI) number.
- Verify and/or give a Unique Student Identifier to a new Developing Artist.
- Create an authenticated Vocational Education Training (VET) transcript.
- Update the Developing Artist’s records and keep contact details up-to-date.
- Applying Personally for a USI
Developing and Practising Artists can apply and create their own USI by logging onto the www.usi.gov.au website and accessing the “How to create a USI” icon.
At least one form of identification from the list below will be required to create a USI:
- Driver’s license
- Medicare card (this includes a current family Medicare card where the Developing Artist’s name is included)
- Australian passport
- Birth certificate (Australian). Please note a Birth Certificate extract is not sufficient
- Certificate of Registration by Descent.
When applying for a USI, please ensure that details entered exactly match those shown on the chosen form of identification.
Once Developing and Practising Artists obtain their USI they must provide this information to the NAISDA Academic Administration Officer who will record it into the Student Management System (VETtrak).